Thursday, March 20, 2014

It's a Project Wonderful life.

As its website states, "Project Wonderful makes advertising awesome." All advertising through Project Wonderful is bought and sold using its "Infinite Auction" system. The advertiser that is willing to pay the most for a spot at that exact moment gets it, and only pays for the time to the nearest second that the ad remains in view before another advertiser outbids the first. The unique ad bidding system rules out impression and click fraud that is prevalent with so many other online advertising brokers, as the bidder can weigh results and cancel at any time. Pretty neat, hmm?

After seeing many Project Wonderful ad spots sprinkled throughout my fantasy art and handmade craft web browsing, I decided to try it on my own blog in May 2010. I started with one button in the right hand column, but within a few weeks I received such interest that I added another 125x125 button, plus a 728x90 banner on the very bottom. Project Wonderful automatically splits each spot up into four traffic regions - United States, Canada, Europe and Elsewhere. That way, if you want to advertise an Etsy shop but aren't keen on shipping internationally, you don't have to pay for your ad to be seen in other countries.

I set my minimum bid to $0, so please grab an ad for free promotion if the space is open! If you're not a member yet, please click Project Wonderful first so my referral ID is counted when you join. Then click "Your ad here" under the spot where you want to see the current rate. You can only bid $0 for 2 days at a time, so it gives other curious souls a chance to try it out. I usually bid $.01 on sites, even when they're at $0, so I don't have to set an expiration date. I still only have to pay $0, until another bidder comes along. Currently I'm bidding on over a dozen sites and only pay a penny or three a day for all of them. I've only paid $.33 for 59,253 impressions and 112 unique clicks on one of the sites I've been bidding on for 11 months! Granted, I've bid on a lot of sites to find a handful whose target audience fits my fantasy art ads so wondrously - but that was half the fun for me.

There are oodles of interesting blogs and websites with inexpensive or even free advertising opportunities, easily found by clicking "Search for new places to bid" under the Advertising dropdown menu. Advertisers can search by traffic thresholds, bid amounts, sizes, categories and tags. In addition to bidding on the results manually, PW offers the option to run automated campaigns on those search parameters where the user can also specify time of day, bid amount and budget. Most of the bids I get on my ad boxes are through campaigns. I've dabbled in several myself, using a budget of only $1 at a time to promote my small business. My worst results were 21,555 hits, 7 clicks; my best results were 35,414 hits, 32 clicks. Again, it takes some trial and error and Lady Luck twisting her magic to get results on the best end of the spectrum - but I'm still amazed at how effectively I can promote my artwork for less than the cost of a hot fudge sundae at McDonald's.

Has anyone else had success advertising your website for free or cheap with Project Wonderful? If you're a publisher, please also share your experience and leave your link!

24 comments :

  1. Thanks for the review. I'm trying it out for the first time today and it's pretty fun. Currently advertising on your site, so it's neat to see it in action. ~Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. PW can turn into a mini-addiction itself I've found - but I've never put any "real" money into it. the ads I place are all funded by the 2 spots on my blog - I just checked, I have 132 active ads right now LOL people will be sick of the sight of me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tatted creations are gorgeous, Jessica! Your ad looks great on my blog. :D

    Lol, nifty - I have seen a lot of the same ads when browsing. I have 83 winning bids and haven't spent a cent yet. I've only been browsing spots that are $0, but once my account has a little more moola, I'll look into more popular places.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for linking me to this from my blog, I love project wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you very much for posting on the forums! I just added my PW boxes to my blog. Please check it out: http://hjmart.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! Gonna sign me up right now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've not tried this yet, so I think I might give it a go when it seems to cost next to nothing to dabble with. I don't want to do expensive advertising so thank you for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have PW on my blog:
    http://crafterholic.blogspot.com
    I will be following with interest as I've not had much luck advertising on other sites with PW myself. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just signed up with you as referral. One more site to learn and use but I know it's good exercise for my brain! Thanks for the information!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had not looked into PW but once I reopen my shop, I'll have to do that. Thanks for this informative post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never heard of Project Wonderful, but I'm intrigued! So glad you shared this :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting. I like cheap advertising. LOL Gonna check it out...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really helpful information! I had signed up but haven't gotten into it yet, so now I will!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds fantastic! Thanks so much for taking the time to write about it all. I'm thinking of trying it out... :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm going to give it a shot =)

    Question for you though, do you direct the ads to your blog or your etsy shop?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good luck, Natalie! I usually send people to my blog instead of my Etsy shop because the more traffic I get here, the more money I make from advertisers. If you're not monetizing your own blog, definitely send them to Etsy where they can buy your items with the least amount of hassle!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks a lot for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just checking this out and think it's a neat idea. Going forward with it myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never heard of this but it's super interesting! I'm going to look in to it further after work!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've never understood how it works but always wanted to learn more about it. Thanks for shedding some light on the subject for me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you! This a great tip! (and I clicked on your link right away in case I have time to register in next few days)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for this. I probably need to reset my password and everything, but I'll look into it some more over the weekend. =0)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I used to advertise and sell ads on Project Wonderful but stopped a few years ago when I joined a popular ad network. I get a lot more revenue with the ad network than I ever did with Project Wonderful. When I advertised through Project Wonderful I did not see as much of an improvement in my page views as I would have liked.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so fairy much for fluttering by my blog. Feedback makes me sparkle! Unless it is mean - please keep that poison for yourself.